Friday, December 19, 2008

Orphanage kids

So today we had the kids from some orphanage come to our college for the Christmas Celebration. So I had to wake up like 6.45 in the morning, once I got ready, I left my house at 8 and reached college at 8.30. Surprisingly the road was clear, not really clear, but still clear enough for me to reach in half an hour.
I got to college, and with nothing to do, I decided to pay Mr. Victor a morning visit. So I sat there chatting with Mr. Vic about a bunch of stuffs, then Brandon came along so did Edrickson, then I left about an hour later. We found Kamini and started to kind of prepare stuffs for the games and all. It wasn't long before the kids came, and after making a brief introduction we continued to prepare for the games. Then, Abg Faizul came with the Santa outfit, so, me being ever so crazy to do anything, volunteered to be the Santa, and changed into the Santa outfit. The kids were kinda, I don't know maybe excited? When they saw Santa, the skinniest Santa ever, come stand before them and teach them the ever so famous "Chicken Dance". After that, we had a game of "Amazing Race", where the kids have to go from on checkpoint to the other completing tasks at each stations before receiving their next clue.
Once that game was over, the kids sat down to have their lunch. They were awfully quiet and showed excellent table manners even though they didn't exactly grow up with their parents. I'm not really sure what they had, I didn't exactly peek into their food. Me, Brandon and Edrickson then went down to get ourselves some lunch as well as for the other helpers. And oh yeah, in between, we gave them some soft toys as presents. (this happened before lunch)

My ever so young coordinator (Darling) posing with THE KIDS' soft toys

After the kids finished their lunch, they went downstairs to get themselves some Malaysian Crocs shoes. In other words, they went to Giant to get a new pair of shoes for themselves. Once all of them were done choosing their favourite colour and sizes, the kids proceeded to the area in front of the registry, to get their gifts. They got a goodie bag as well as a mystery gift which wasn't so mysterious anymore once they dug their hands into Santa's trolley and took out the gift.

Then, the kids were asked to come take their new shoes, put them on and keep their old ones in a plastic bag. The kids were overjoyed, and the happiness on their faces were so evident they were shouting and running around with their new shoes though they were a bit sad they couldn't slide with it.


The kids getting their new pair of shoes

The kids eager to get their new shoes on

The kids were then asked to follow Santa (me) to the college's theatre - the conference hall. The kids were so excited, I believe many of them had never really watched a movie in a theatre like environment before. After a few technical problems in the beginning, The kids could be heard laughing to the hilarious jokes of the movie "Alvin and the Chipmunks". Once the movie finished, the kids rushed out, excited to find out what more was in store for them today.

They proceeded to the area in front of registry again. This time, to an even grander crowd. The crowd included the Head of Departments,Lecturers, but most importantly our President - Dr. Lim and our Academic Director - Dr. Ma. We then celebrated the birthdays of all the November and December babies, well sort of babies.

Everyone singing the "Happy Birthday" song

After the birthday celebrations, all the kids were asked to come forward and take photos with Dr. Lim. Everyone, as in the kids, were scared of Dr. Lim at first, they then realized she was half as ferocious as she looked =p. And all of them made themselves comfortable all around Dr. Lim.

The group photo with Dr. Lim

Brandon took this picture, so you can figure why its so blur =p Sorry Brandon.

Once everyone was done, everyone was served with something to eat. The food was honestly, truly, to my opinion, very very nice, though some people might tend to disagree (hor, darling). There was Seafood Spaghetti, Chicken with gravy, fruit tarts (which was so nice) and curry puffs. You know what the worst part was, I am a vegetarian until Christmas, so I had to see all these kids munching on their chicken while had to be satisfied with the fruit tart and the curry puffs. Oh well, as the great P. Ramlee said. "CUBAAN"

Before you knew it, it was time for the kids to leave, all of them came forward and wished us "Merry Christmas, goodbye" before going to their goodie bags and making sure all their goodies were still in it. I decided to follow them to the car park.

The kids making sure their goodies are in place

All along, there were three boys, kinda extra connected to me. One of them, Pravin, even dragged me to the toilet and asked me

Pravin : "Anneh, is this your toilet?"

I could only look down at him and smile and replied

Me : "No, this is the college's toilet"

And then the other 2 kids come, Theeban and Gobi.

Theeban : "Anneh, you studying for what r?"

Me : "I'm studying psychology"

Theeban : "No anneh, I mean like doctor, engineer"

Me : "Yes, Theeban I'm going to be a psychologist"

Theeban : "Psy-ch-o-lo-gis-t r? Ok la whatever"

So that was one of the conversation I had with them three. So as I was walking with them to the car park. Gobi comes and holds my right hand, Theeban my left, so I was wondering what was Pravin going to do, so he just follows behind me for a while, then suddenly he just grabs my wrist and starts walking with me. I was almost in tears as I waved goodbye to them. I can bet you it was an amazing day for them but even more than that it was an even better day for me, being able to share my love with this bunch of kids who thirst for love and affection.

0 comments: